tosca-comment message

Subject: RE: Comment on #TOSCA Simple Profile in YAML v1.3

Hi Tri,

I’m curious how you resolved your question below. Did you introduce a custom Port node type that reverses the relationship?

As you may know, starting with TOSCA v2.0, we will maintain the Simple Profile type definitions as Open Source contributions on https://github.com/oasis-open/tosca-community-contributions/tree/master/profiles

We currently have v1.x definitions in the repository, but will create v2.0 definitions soon. We’d love your participation in this effort.

Thanks,

Chris

From: Tri.Vo-Hoang@t-systems.com <Tri.Vo-Hoang@t-systems.com>
Sent: Friday, February 7, 2020 2:58 AM
To: Chris Lauwers <lauwers@ubicity.com>; tosca-comment@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: AW: Comment on #TOSCA Simple Profile in YAML v1.3

Hi Chris,

Actually the use case is as simple as: “A user wants to spawn one Compute node in a given Network with one fixed private IP address”.

From my point of view, TOSCA should describe a desired topology of a user as it is. It would be unexpected for the users to see their booted compute node having two NICs (eth0 and eth1) but in the topology they describe only one Port.

> In the current Compute node type, we don’t explicitly model that interface using a Port, but rather just track the allocated IP address.

But in Section 8.4.3.2 (Use case: Data Traffic network), the figure shows a scenario whereby users can define eth0 on the VM for their data network explicitly.

Also, it is important to model and control the lifecycle of all interfaces explicitly. This makes sure that a compute node reaches a desired state (i.e., has fixed IP addresses). Otherwise, a restart of a compute node results in a different IP address, and opened to security threats (e.g., causes disruption of availability or the automatic configuration of IP addresses enables an attacker to divert traffic or impair communication).

> Perhaps you can share your use case (or we can discuss when you join the TC).

This process will take a while… I hope soon.

Best,

Tri