tosca-interop message

Subject: RE: [tosca-interop] Re: Interop Guide - What is the Appropriate Track For Now?

Not clear what you mean by “take the normative things out”. The details are needed for interoperability. If we want to dance around the fact that they are needed by saying “you might want to handle parameters this way, if you choose” we could pretend that it is non-normative. But if we actually leave the details out, the document is worthless.

I support the plan to keep the guide as a WD until v.next as long as that means (1) it’s covered by OASIS IPR and (2) there is a public URL pointing to the document to allow anonymous access.

Best,

  --Richard

From: tosca-interop@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:tosca-interop@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Lipton, Paul C
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2013 11:31 AM
To: Doug Davis
Cc: tosca-interop@lists.oasis-open.org; Simon D Moser (SMOSER@de.ibm.com); Matt Rutkowski; Probst, Richard

Doug,

I’m merging in Thomas’s question and my response below, as the thread accidently got split.

We are on the same page in just about every way. I’m fine with normative things going into the spec and agree that is the ONLY place for normative content. It’s simple. If normative things belong in the spec and only the spec; either v1, v1.errata (limited to a narrow set of corrections), or v.next (v2), then don’t produce a Committee Note that contains normative things.

The current Interop Guide appears to have normative things and is not the TOSCA spec. As Doug says, that’s bad. So, our choices are simple:

1.      Take the normative things (all of them) out of the Interop Guide (might reduce usefulness, but I have no objection)

2.      Keep the Interop Guide at the WD level until v.next starts. Do not position the current WD or advance it as a Non-Standards Track work product (CND) in any fashion. When v.next begins, put the normative stuff in the spec and advance the v.next spec, as we normally do. Note:

a.       There are no functional problems with this. Implementers inside or outside the TC can access the current document by using the public URL provided by Kavi until v.next begins.

b.      Because normative stuff with standing belongs in the spec (as Doug said) and a CN, which is essentially intended for marketing material and high-level whitepapers, is the wrong track, we take care to keep our normative  stuff where it belongs, in the spec (as per Doug).

c.       A non-normative Interop/Best Practices guide becomes a separate consideration, at that point.

Thanks,

Paul