tosca-interop message

Subject: 2015-02-02 Interop SC Minutes

2015-02-02 GMT-08:00
[08:02] Matt Rutkowski (IBM): Attendees: Peter, Karsten, Shitao, Matt
[08:02] Matt Rutkowski (IBM): Juergen
[08:03] Matt Rutkowski (IBM): Derek
[08:03] Matt Rutkowski (IBM): Don
[08:07] Matt Rutkowski (IBM): Matt: reviewed last weeks topics
[08:08] Matt Rutkowski (IBM): Peter: still working on circulating use case
[08:08] Matt Rutkowski (IBM): Karsten/Juergen: started to discuss, no results yet
[08:09] Matt Rutkowski (IBM): Karsten: if we do this, and use OpenStack orchestrators, if multiples do likewise, then it is better to show increase capabilities over interop. over many impls.
[08:09] Matt Rutkowski (IBM): Derek: similar thoughts, vnomic might do other things than OpenStack
[08:10] Matt Rutkowski (IBM): Derek: perhaps AWS or other place
[08:12] Matt Rutkowski (IBM): karsten: what would we see... CSAR, Heat, OpenStack Iaas components
[08:16] Matt Rutkowski (IBM): Peter: on HP side we use Heat and Triple-O
[08:17] Matt Rutkowski (IBM): Shitao: the platform Huawei using is OpenStack, not sure of other platforms
[08:23] Matt Rutkowski (IBM): Still need portability, 3 would be ideal to maintain this message
[08:24] Matt Rutkowski (IBM): OSCON is Open source centric so ironically claiming companies using open source form OpenStack is a good message (but should not exclude portability)
[08:24] Matt Rutkowski (IBM): Paul: keep showing growing ecosystem
[08:24] Matt Rutkowski (IBM): Matt: like last interop. we will still have slides of support
[08:25] Matt Rutkowski (IBM): Peter: still use OpenStack, but not necessarily Heat
[08:26] Matt Rutkowski (IBM): Peter: OpenStack is used, but directly use Iaas and other platform services (Switft), and orchestrate with their own tooling and languages (Chef)
[08:27] Matt Rutkowski (IBM): Matt: so we have Heat-based orchestration and non-Heat based orchestration
[08:28] Matt Rutkowski (IBM): perhaps a good "layering" story (on top of or both using OpenStack as the underlying platform)
[08:29] Matt Rutkowski (IBM): Derek: would not emphasize OpenStack necessarily, just happen to have several companies converging on it
[08:29] Matt Rutkowski (IBM): Derek: say less and not get "pigeon holed" as TOSCA being only OpenStack
[08:32] Matt Rutkowski (IBM): Derek: show many vendors backing TOSCA, regardless of UI, or platform
[08:33] Matt Rutkowski (IBM): Derek: we have to communicate clearly, especially with OSCON to have the correct message, need to stay on top of multi-platform, multi-vendor message/ideal
[08:34] Matt Rutkowski (IBM): Paul: On OSCON, from first-hand experience, it is very large with press coverage, we are speaking to open source community (but not to level of that at an OpenStack Summit)
[08:35] Matt Rutkowski (IBM): Paul: Audience is technical, but "enterprisey" that build large cloud applications, will see architects, etc.
[08:36] Matt Rutkowski (IBM): Paul: Do not undermine messaging we do elsewhere, or have used in the past. Be inclusive.
[08:37] Matt Rutkowski (IBM): Paul: 2) circle the breadth of the ecosystem, orchestrators, modeling tools
[08:43] Matt Rutkowski (IBM): Matt: described his soup analogy (at length)
[08:43] Matt Rutkowski (IBM): Karten: we can show different dimensions of TOScA and not be beholden to just the notion of strict portability
[08:50] Matt Rutkowski (IBM): Matt: intends IBM to show OpenStack Heat (Translator) functionality using this N-Tier Logging use case, already almost has 3 tiers running
[08:50] Matt Rutkowski (IBM): Derek: when would videos be due
[08:51] Matt Rutkowski (IBM): Matt: based upon past events, we ask for materials 3-4 weeks in advance, latest July 1st
Please come prepared next Monday to give us an idea of what your respective company might be able to show (in video or live at the show) that would build from the "N-Tier Logging" use case in the latest Appendix G of the TOSCA YAML spec.  (even if its is in XML).
Matt: please feel free to ask me to any telecons to present this idea to your development teams if needed.
[08:55] Matt Rutkowski (IBM): adjourned 10:55