Subject: spec errata

On today's call we talked briefly about erratas and minor editorial changes.  If I understand our current state, we today voted to push wd16 out the door and to start the process of making it our proposed oasis v1.0 spec.  It seems to me that we can deal with these minor edits if we simply follow the oasis process.  Meaning, the TC decides at some point to roll-up a group of edits into a WD, then we start the process of it being a CS and then OASIS Spec (calling it v1.0.1).  Since that process will take a bit of time, it will finish after v1.0 is published.  We can then iterate on this process as many times as we'd like to pick-up additional edits that I'm sure people will find as they read/implement the spec.

Can we not follow this process?

I don't think we need to wait for v1.0 to be an oasis spec before we start working on a v1.0.1 - we can always put a pre-condition on its being released; that being v1.0 actually makes it out the door.  I've seen other oasis specs have preconditions as they go thru the process.

I understand Frank's concern about having an updated spec come out too soon, but given it'll be a v1.0.1 and not a major (or even minor) version number update, I don't think that's an issue. I think getting some of these fixes in would be appreciated by new people reading the spec.  We just need to be judicious in which edits we allow.

thanks
-Doug
STSM |  Standards Architect  |  IBM Software Group
(919) 254-6905  |  IBM 444-6905  |  dug@us.ibm.com