Subject: RE: Request for leave of absence

Alex,

Speaking for my family and on behalf of the TC, we are very sorry for your loss. You are in our thoughts.

Regarding the rules for Leaves of Absence, they do say that the “length of a Leave of Absence shall be specified in advance by the Voting Member requesting it and shall not exceed 45 days.” However, they do not specify how that length should be expressed. Therefore, I recognize and approve your LOA, as requested below, for a length of “family bereavement.” When you have more information, please let Simon and me know.

If folks have any questions or issues with this approach, please contact me and Simon directly.

Alex, as per your request, full/relevant policy is below:

2.6 Leaves of Absence

Every Voting Member of an OASIS TC shall be entitled to at least one Leave of Absence during any one twelve month period. During a Leave of Absence, a Voting Member shall be exempt from the participation criteria specified in Section 2.4. A first Leave of Absence during any one twelve month period shall be obtained automatically by sending an email to both the Chair and the TC mailing list. The Chair must notify the TC of all Leaves of Absence by reporting them in the minutes of the TC's next meeting.

A Voting Member who has already been granted a Leave of Absence during any twelve month period may apply for a maximum of one additional Leave of Absence during the same twelve month period, but a second Leave of Absence during any twelve month period shall be granted only upon formal Resolution of the TC.

A Voting Member of a TC who has been granted a Leave of Absence shall not have voting rights in the TC and all of its Subcommittees for the duration of the Leave; voting rights shall resume immediately upon the person returning from Leave.

The length of a Leave of Absence shall be specified in advance by the Voting Member requesting it and shall not exceed 45 days. A Leave of Absence shall begin no earlier than seven days after the date upon which the request was delivered to the Chair of the TC and shall end on the date specified, or at the beginning of the first TC meeting or Subcommittee meeting attended after the Leave begins, or upon transmittal of the first mail ballot returned after the Leave begins, whichever comes first. Time allocated for a Leave of Absence but not used due to early resumption of participation cannot be carried over into another Leave.