Subject: network feature discussion today..

Hi Dale/Derek,

Based our Network feature discussion today, here are some thoughts around describing connectivity.

Specification needs to be
  • Declarative
  • Intent based
  • Implementation abstraction
  • Policy Based

From application perspective, here is the partial list of dimensions we may want to capture.

  • Type of connection
  • Network Classification of connection
  • Source End point requirements
  • Destination end point capabilities
  • attributes of connection
  • Quality of connection
  • Security policies adherence

In order to achieve the right balance in abstraction, we may have to work from both ends.

1> upwards from network component requirements (firewall, tunnel, LB, NAT, Domain, routing…) on one end.
2>  application modeling requirements (protocol, quality, security, availability, resiliency…) from other end.

I can provide more details during our next session.

Thanks,
Hemal