Subject: 答复: modeling forwarding graphs

Hi Chris

Can you provide a document for this idea? SO on this week or maybe next week NFV meeting, we can have a discussion on it.

Thanks

shitao

发件人: Chris Lauwers [mailto:lauwers@ubicity.com]
发送时间: 2015421 5:23
收件人: Lishitao
抄送: tosca@lists.oasis-open.org
主题: NFV: modeling forwarding graphs

Hi Shitao,

You have proposed in the past to use the concept of artifacts to model the forwarding graph(s) in NFV deployments (https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/tosca/download.php/54169/Forwarding%20graph%20NFV%20and%20TOSCA.ppt). However, this would effectively introduce a requirement for another file format that needs to be documented, standardized, and maintained. We would also miss the opportunity to leverage the power of Tosca, since graphs are at the core of what Tosca models are all about.

I’d like to make an alternative proposal where the forwarding graph is modeled explicitly using Tosca Node Types. Specifically, I propose to introduce two new node types: ForwardingGraphNode and ForwardingGraphEdge. The main responsibility of these node types would be to model the end-to-end graph by connecting ConnectionPoint nodes together:

-          The ForwardingGraphNode connects an “in” connection point to an “out” connection point on the same VNF (note that “in” and “out” could point to the same connection point)

-          The ForwardingGraphEdge connects a connection point on one VNF to a connection point on a different VNF.

Tying the ForwardingGraphNode and ForwardingGraphEdge nodes to the appropriate connection points requires the introduction of a new capability type for Connection Points (e.g. tosca.capabilities.nfv.Forwarder) and a new relationship type (e.g. tosca.relationships.nfv.ForwardsThrough) to associate the Graph Nodes and Graph Edges with the appropriate connection points.

Using this approach, we can use Tosca to model both the network topology of VNFs and Virtual Links as well as the forwarding graphs that is overlaid on top of this topology.

Best regards,

Chris