Subject: Re: [tosca] NFV: modeling forwarding graphs

Hi Chris,

I must admit that I haven't been able to join the NFV ad-hoc group calls
due to timing conflicts, so I might miss some background. But I agree to
what you said in that using artifacts to describe NFGs would introduce
another layer that would need to be standardized (unless the language for
the artifact is already standardized e.g. by ETSI).
I agree that it would make much more sense for TOSCA to stick to TOSCA's
fundamental modeling concepts of using Nodes and Relationships. In contrast
to your proposal, however, I thought more about letting a TOSCA topology
*be* the NFG instead of having something like a NetworkForwardingGraph node
type. Basically, one could imaging  node types for VNFs (e.g. VNF1, VNF2,
etc) and relationship types like "ForwardsTo" or "Chains", and then we
could have a topology of node templates for the different VNFs with chains
relations between them.

... but again the disclaimer that my inability to join WG calls might mean
some miss of background.

Regards,
Thomas

Cloud Architect - IT Service Management, IBM Systems
Master Inventor
IBM Deutschland Research & Development GmbH, D229, Schoenaicher Str. 220,
D-71032 Boeblingen, Germany
thomas.spatzier@de.ibm.com | +49-7031-16-1219

IBM Deutschland Research & Development GmbH / Vorsitzende des
Aufsichtsrats: Martina Koederitz
Geschäftsführung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart,
HRB 243294