Subject: RE: [tosca] XML and YAML standard convergence

I do not want to volunteer to unknown efforts but it could be something I could consider after having a better knowledge of the whole thing :D

With my limited overview it seems to me that the YAML "simple" profile is going to be more complete and become more "complex" than the standard XML that has just the complexity of being XML and not YAML.

In this case the "simple" I think is applyed to the definition language and not to the content of the standard.

The presence of new functions in the "simple" require, IMHO, that also the core standard be adeguated otherwise phrases like:

"Further note that TOSCA provides for a set of intrinsic functions like get_input, get_property or get_attribute to reference elements within the template or to retrieve runtime values." [end of 3.1] would generate expectation that THE TOSCA STANDARD in general provides them whatever the profile you are using and especially if you get the simple one you expect that the core one has it also.

Reading chapter 1:

"This proposal prescribes an isomorphic rendering in YAML of a subset of the TOSCA v1.0 ensuring that TOSCA semantics are preserved and can be transformed from XML to YAML or from YAML to XML. Additionally, in order to streamline the _expression_ of TOSCA semantics, the YAML rendering is sought to be more concise and compact through the use of the YAML syntax."

From this statement is supposed that a sort of decision has been made to make the two "isomorphic" but there are no functions (or I could not find them) in the XML one so no option to go back and forward from the two.

Not want to give a wrong impression, but from the outside is confusing: it seems they are 2 different standards and that YAML will replace XML.

Luca