Subject: RE: [tosca] Artifacts questions

Hi Luca,

I agree that this is an area where more work is needed on the spec. Specifically:

1.       The operation definition (A.5.12) only talks about implementation artifacts, not about deployment artifacts. I’m sure this is not intentional, but this should get corrected in the text nevertheless.

2.       We need more “normative” artifact type definitions. For example:

a.       We should have types for Chef Recipes, Puppet manifests, etc.

b.      We also need types for VM and Docker images.

c.       We should have mechanisms to specify whether artifacts need to be unzipped, untarred, etc.

3.       For implementation artifacts specifically, we need more clarity to specify where these artifacts need to be executed. If my understanding is correct, the general assumption is that implementation artfacts are scripts that are run on the Compute node that is the “container” for the HostedOn relationship for software components. This raises the following questions:

a.       What if the implementation artifact isn’t a script that can be executed directly (e.g. what if the implementation artifact is a Chef recipe)?

b.      What if the “container” for the HostedOn relationship isn’t a Compute node (e.g. the Software Component is a Database that is “hosted on” a DBMS)?

c.       What is the context within which implementation artifacts are executed (e.g. working directory, user id, etc?)

Feel free to help drive the process by contributing your specific use cases and for offering suggestions on how to best support your use cases.