Subject: Re: [tosca] Question about use cases for instance-based Orchestration

Hi Anh,

Answers in line

Best,
Derek

From: <tosca@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of Anh Tuan Le <AnhLe@NetCracker.com>
Date: Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 6:43 PM
To: "tosca@lists.oasis-open.org" <tosca@lists.oasis-open.org>

Dear Derek and Sivan,

Thank you for the document presentation today. Let me have some question to the TOSCA workgroup. If you create another mailing list just for our Instance ad-hoc group, please let me know.
- I got from Sivan the link to the PPT of the scope of the group. Just where I can I find to read the use cases? There is only one now, Cluster. Do we consider other use cases like VNF (or application) lifecycle management?

[Derek] I don’t think we have a doc which talks about use cases (Sivan would know better than I). If you have other use cases you are welcome to submit them. At the moment we are looking at the instance model from the perspective of generic application automation requirements and only have explicitly covered cases where existing declarative orchestration has been insufficient (this is where the cluster use case came from). In parallel we are developing the imperative workflow feature but this is done in the YAML profile working group. We are not looking at NFV or other domains yet.

- Is life cycle state changes in scope, and what other Standardization works we like to refer to?

[Derek] The YAML profile spec draft has everything we have on this topic.

- About the notion of only one running instance of workflow at a time: is it suggestion from a practical implementation? Or there are other reasons for it?

 [Derek] The answer is yes to both because there are many interelated issues. But it’s possible implementations can allow concurrency if they can be sure the possible interactions don’t impact assumptions about the final state. You should follow the work on workflow in the YAML profile working group if you are interested in the workflow DSL which is handled by Luc Boutier. The instance model working group is covering all the operational issues around instance model update and consumption. Since the workflow DSL is a work in progress, the final execution semantics have not been written down yet. So in this regard, the discussions in the instance model working group are at little ahead.

Thank you,

Anh

Anh Le, Senior Director, Telecom Research
Netcracker Technology

+1 (781) 419-3300 | ext. 3314 | office

We are Netcracker, and we are focused forward

The information transmitted herein is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.