Subject: RE: Comments about workflow //Re:RE: [tosca] Re: Try to submit a comment//Re:[tosca] Your Public Review for TOSCA Simple Profile in YAML V1.1 CSPRD02 has been announced

Hi Huabing,

Thank you for adding this discussion as JIRA issue TOSCA-318. FYI, Luc Boutier made a tremendous contribution to the workflow aspects of Simple Profile in YAML v1.1, so you may find his opinion to be helpful. That said; I encourage interested TC members to voice their opinions as comments to this issue.

Regards,

Paul

From: zhao.huabing@zte.com.cn [mailto:zhao.huabing@zte.com.cn]
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2017 10:20 PM
To: tosca@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: chet.ensign@oasis-open.org; Lipton, Paul C <Paul.Lipton@ca.com>

Hi Paul and Chet,

Many thanks for the useful information and guidelines. So I guess I can add my two cents here.

I notice that the draft of  "TOSCA Simple Profile in YAML Version 1.1"  is trying to define a new workflow DSL inside TOSCA instead of using existing standards such as BPMN/BPEL which is recommended in the Topology and Orchestration Specification for Cloud Applications Version 1.0[1].

Below is the description of plan(workflow) in the V1.0 Spec:

planLanguage: This attribute denotes the process modeling language (or metamodel) used to specify the plan. For example, “http://www.omg.org/spec/BPMN/20100524/MODEL” would specify that BPMN 2.0 has been used to model the plan.

TOSCA does not specify a separate metamodel for defining plans. Instead, it is assumed that a process modelling language (a.k.a. metamodel) like BPEL [BPEL 2.0] or BPMN [BPMN 2.0] is used to define plans. The specification favours the use of BPMN for modelling plans.

Since many open source and property orchestration implementation have already adopted TOSCA and used the BPMN/BPEL as the process modelling language, this incompatible change may force them to refactor their implementation to adapt to the new Spec, wich will definitely cost a lot of time and work. As far as I know, OPEN-O[2], Open-TOSCA[3] and some of the internal projects of ZTE will encounter this problem.

So I'm wondering could we keep standard modelling language, in particular, such as BPMN and BPEL, as an option in the next version of TOSCA Spec?

What do you think?

[1] http://docs.oasis-open.org/tosca/TOSCA/v1.0/TOSCA-v1.0.html

[2]http://www.open-o.org

[3]http://www.iaas.uni-stuttgart.de/OpenTOSCA/