Subject: RE: [tosca] Groups - 2017-11-07 - Simple Profile WG - Meeting Notes.html uploaded

Hi Steve,

Allow me to try and summarize what changes to expect (numbered 1,2 and 3 about 2/3rds down in the meeting notes):
  1. (new top-level Service Template) key to declare URI
  2. (new top-level Service Template) key to declare (the) optional default prefix to use (to represent the declared URI in an instance document)
  3. means to import by URI

Given these changes, this should enable us to do many of things need... as for my responses to your questions:

Today, the current import definition always requires a file URI which is the YAML file that contains the custom type definitions.
Is this changing?
Or Is it just a matter of keeping this method but specifying if it is a local file (stored in the CSAR or orchestrator repository) or remotely-accessible file on the Internet?
If it is for a remotely-accessible file on the Internet, is it just a matter of using a URL pointing to a “well-known” location + YAML file name where the standard ETSI/NFV YAML file resides?

The current grammar should remain the same and function as it does today.  We just intend to look at adding import by URI above (#3) as perhaps another means (and I am not convinced that is valid and deserved some more discussion).

As "import" in other languages do NOT do this. it SHOULD be valid to reference another Service template as a relative path/file (in CSAR) <OR> as a fully qualified URL (accessible on the internet).  If that is not clear, we need to make it clear.... referencing by URI seems more of an "internal" processing convenience (not something users will ever use or need).

Should we promote the use of qualified Type URIs within the custom type definitions file when it is provided by ETSI or ONAP knowing namespace is “required” in this case?
For instance nfv:nfv.nodes.Vdu where nfv is the namespace prefix for NFV profile and nfv.nodes.Vdu is the Type URI for VDU node type.
This way the import definition does not need to specify the namespace_prefix.
The author of the import definition can always “override” the already-provided namespace prefix with its own namespace_prefix.

It should be best practice for anyone producing their own set of Types to provide a ServiceTemplate that declares their targetnamespace (as we intend to add as work item #1) and allow them to optionally declare a prefix (which can be overridden by the importing template/document instance using those types).

It should also be best practice for Type designers to also clearly use qualified type names when subclassing types they are sensitive to changes on; that is, create an import to the exact version they need to use/reference and associate a unique prefix for that set of types. Then they should clearly use the prefix to qualify the types they are building on which are bound to a specific version.

My opinions...

Kind regards,
Matt