Subject: RE: Notation for capability assignments and others

Hi Arturo,

Youâre correct: capability assignments do not need the leading â-â since they are not a sequenced list.

I also agree that the terminology is confusing (I struggled with this as well when I first started implementing Tosca). Perhaps we should use âsetâ or âmapâ instead for any collection that is not sequenced.

Chris

From: Arturo Martin De Nicolas <arturo.martin-de-nicolas@ericsson.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2018 4:41 AM
To: claude.noshpitz@att.com; Chris Lauwers <lauwers@ubicity.com>; mrutkows@us.ibm.com; tosca@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: Calin Curescu <calin.curescu@ericsson.com>

Hi,

I have been discussing this internally and our understanding is that each of the capability assignments within a node template should not be preceded by  â-â.  And thatâs because they are not really a list (in the sense of the TOSCA YAML type âlistâ) but rather a map.

Do you agree with that?

If yes:

1. I find it rather misleading for many of the keynames in certain type definitions to define them as âlist ofââ  when they are actually not encoded as lists. Examples: properties, capabilities, interfaces and artifacts keynames in the node template definition

2. It is only those keynames for which the description column says âsequenced listâ that they are encoded as lists. And these may use either the bullet or the square bracket notation. This is also misleading, because according to the list definition grammar (3.3.4.1) âsequenced listâ or âbullet listâ is just a notation of a list, i.e. there is no semantical difference with a list that uses the square bracket notation, IMO.

3. The examples in clause 2.13 (pages 43 and 44) are incorrect because they show â-â before the capability assignment.

Best regards,

Arturo