Subject: Edge cases in maps: missing content (empty content)

Dear TOSCA Experts,

as these and similar edge cases are not explicitly controlled by the TOSCA YAML specifications, I am asking for your opinion. Which one(s) of the following cases are valid syntactically?

tosca_definitions_version: tosca_simple_yaml_1_2

interface_types:

  interface_type_1:

    derived_from: tosca.interfaces.Root

    operation_1:

node_types:

  node_type_1:

    derived_from: tosca.nodes.Root

    properties:

      property_1:

        type: string

        required: false

  node_type_2:

    derived_from: tosca.nodes.Root

    interfaces:

      interface_1:

        type: interface_type_1

topology_template:

  node_templates:

    node_template_1_1:

      type: node_type_1

      properties: # case 1

    node_template_1_2:

      type: node_type_1

      properties: {} # case 2

    node_template_2_1:

      type: node_type_2

      interfaces:

        interface_1:

          operation_1: # case 3

    node_template_2_2:

      type: node_type_2

      interfaces:

        interface_1:

          operation_1: {} # case 4

data_types:

  data_type_1:

    derived_from: tosca.datatypes.Root

    properties:

      property_1:

        type: string

        default: # case 5

Cases #1 and #2 are assumed to have the same meaning. Similarly cases #3 and #4.

Motivation for cases #3 and #4: indicate availability of lifecycle management operations in VNF descriptors (without specifying further details). In the ETSI NFV SOL001 specification, we have an example like this, basically case #3 (the scale operation inserted by me here for better clarity):

tosca_definitions_version: tosca_simple_yaml_1_2

..

node_types:

  MyCompany.SunshineDB.1_0.1_0:

    derived_from: tosca.nodes.nfv.VNF

    ..

topology_template:

  ..

  node_templates:

    SunshineDB:

      type: MyCompany.SunshineDB.1_0.1_0

      ..

      interfaces:

        Vnflcm:

          instantiate:

          scale:

          ..

Related text in SOL001:

  • “In the above example, as there is no implementation and inputs specified to the operations, the built-in implementation of the operation is invoked when the Instantiate VNF request is received on the LCM interface of the Or-Vnfm reference point” (section 6.7.1.5).
  • “All VNF supported LCM operations shall be listed in the service template, except ‘instantiate‘ and ‘terminate‘ that may be omitted, as specified in ETSI GS NFV-IFA011 [1] for the supportedOperation attribute of a deployment flavour” (section 6.7.1.3).

Motivation for the other cases: understand the standpoint, to achieve better compatibility of parsers (better interoperability of products).

Best regards,

Gábor