Subject: splitting TOSCA specification into 2 documents

We have discussed on a number of occasions the idea of splitting the TOSCA specification into multiple documents. Doing so would obviously help with the editing process (since the current document has grown quite large) but I believe it would also make it easier for newcomers to digest the spec. To test this hypothesis, I have taken a stab at splitting the document into two:

  • The first document is called “Introduction to TOSCA Version 2.0”. It is intended to provide a (non-normative) introduction for readers who are new to TOSCA and are interested in learning about TOSCA features and capabilities. This document consists mainly of the “TOSCA by Example” chapter of the 1.3 specification combined with a number the other non-normative chapters in that document.
  • The second document is called “TOSCA Version 2.0”. This document is intended to be the (normative) reference of the TOSCA language as well as the normative types.

You can find initial revisions of these two documents here:

https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/tosca/download.php/65174/tosca-intro-v2.0-wd01.docx

https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/tosca/download.php/65173/TOSCA-v2.0-wd01-rev02.docx

During the TC meeting of Thursday April 25 we will discuss if this is the right approach.