Subject: Re: [tosca] Proposal for get_property based on discussion in WG on 2019_09_17

A long-standing issue for me:

I would also like to propose a special reserved prefix character for function calls. E.g., "$" or "!". So:

{ !get_property: [ ... ] }

The reason should be obvious: as it stands one needs to know all the existing intrinsic functions in order to read a TOSCA source and be sure where there is a function call or just a value of a data type. This will also greatly assist parsers, as they will be able to generate the right error message if it is clear that a function call is intended and the function doesn't exist, etc.

(Puccini allows users to easily create custom functions, something that should probably not be part of the language standard, but that could be acknowledged as a potential feature in the spec.)