Subject: RE: [tosca] relative vs. absolute path names in import statements

Hello Chris,

when it comes to paths, Iâd advise some caution regarding the absolute paths. Allowing for absolute paths is useful in the use cases where the user has a full control over the workstation. But once we envision the orchestrator running as a service, taking in third party TOSCA content, it is prudent to restrict the paths in imports and artifacts to relative paths only. Otherwise some black hat would be quick to import that /etc/passwd into an environment that they control on the host that they do not.

In our orchestrator, we plan to reject absolute links and allow operation within the CSAR only. Of course this does not prevent us from having some sort of a pre-processor that would still take in a service template or a CSAR that uses absolute paths, but then copies or blocks content at its own discretion. Or perhaps include a command line switch that enables the unsafe mode.

Best regards,

Matej

Matej ArtaÄ, Ph.D. / Project Manager
XLAB d.o.o. / Pot za Brdom 100 / SI - 1000 Ljubljana / Slovenia
tel.+386 40 556 755 / info@xlab.si / www.xlab.si

Project Manager, Platform and Systems Orchestration

Member of OASIS TOSCA Standard Technical Committee

Member of steampunk.si

Google Drive / Linkedin / Twitter