Subject: Re: [tosca] RE: Map/list without entry_schema

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 1:44 AM Arturo Martin De Nicolas <arturo.martin-de-nicolas@ericsson.com> wrote:
If the type of the entries can be anything how can the parser validate a property assignment, in particular if they are of a complex type? Is there any case in which you see it useful not to specify the type?

I am thinking that it should be made mandatory, or?

I have to agree. I scoured the spec, and nowhere does it say that "entry_schema" is mandatory. However to me it seems clear that it must be mandatory for "list" and "map" types. That is indeed how I interpret it in Puccini. To strengthen this case, when we added the "key_schema" we emphasized that it would be optional, as opposed to "entry_schema", and default to "string".

Typeless values are very awkward in a strictly-typed language like TOSCA. E.g. how would you apply a constraint?

I hope we can clarify the language for TOSCA 2.0 to make "entry_schema" mandatory for list and map.