Subject: TOSCA inputs and outputs for shell scripts

Hi Adam,

During one of earlier interactions, you expressed concerns/opinions about using environment variables to pass input and output values between the TOSCA orchestrator and shell scripts:

  • Clearly using environment variable for outputs doesn’t work. As alternatives, we discussed passing a file descriptor, or an environment variable that specifies a location to which to write outputs. Have you given any more thought to this?
  • Even for input values, environment variable are not always convenient. What is the standard way for encoding maps, lists, or complex data types so they can be carried in an environment variable? I’m curious how your implementation handles this.