Subject: Imports with name conflicts via ETSI NFV LS

Hi Chris and others,

Per our Thursday TC call, I would like to follow-up our discussion. I would like to clarify the 1st bullet point of “summary of the discussion” from Ad-hoc language call meeting note.  The bullet should be “The general rule is that parsers should flag an error on name conflicts, when the definition is different with the same name”.  The rational for this correction is based on the additional requirement from section 3.1.3.1 (see yellow highlighted).

  • Chris: summary of the discussion:

-        The general rule is that parsers should flag an error on name conflicts (i.e., definitions with the same name)

-        Namespaces should be used to solve the name conflict problem.

-        To address the problem of identifying import that are intended to be the same, profiles should be used.

-        Unfortunately, profiles are not supported in 1.3

3.1.3.1  Additional Requirements

  • The URI value “http://docs.oasis-open.org/tosca”, as well as all (path) extensions to it, SHALL be reserved for TOSCA approved specifications and work.  That means Service Templates that do not originate from a TOSCA approved work product MUST NOT use it, in any form, when declaring a (default) Namespace.
  • Since TOSCA Service Templates can import (or substitute in) other Service Templates, TOSCA Orchestrators and tooling will encounter the “tosca_definitions_version” statement for each imported template.  In these cases, the following additional requirements apply:
    • Imported type definitions with the same Namespace URI, local name and version SHALL be equivalent.
    • If different values of the “tosca_definitions_version” are encountered, their corresponding type definitions MUST be uniquely identifiable using their corresponding Namespace URI using a different Namespace prefix.

Regards,

Thinh

Thinh Nguyenphu

Bell Labs CTO