Subject: Re: [tosca] RE: updated operational model

Nice work and I like the direction.

Now try to add artifacts and events ("operations" and "notifications"). :)

On Mon, Feb 28, 2022 at 6:26 PM Chris Lauwers <lauwers@ubicity.com> wrote:

I know this is a background activity, but here is another update. This introduces a new âfirstâ slide that removes Day 2 concepts from the picture. In my opinion, this is identical to the operational model we had previously agreed to, although the boxes have been rearranged and a couple of labels have changed.

From: tosca@lists.oasis-open.org <tosca@lists.oasis-open.org> On Behalf Of Chris Lauwers
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2022 9:57 AM
To: Bruun, Peter Michael (CMS RnD Orchestration) <peter-michael.bruun@hpe.com>; Tal Liron <tliron@redhat.com>
Cc: Calin Curescu <calin.curescu@ericsson.com>; tosca@lists.oasis-open.org

Thanks Peter, youâre articulating more clearly what I intended to say, which is that the operational model does not try to define an architecture, but rather tries to illustrate how and where the various constructs in the language are expected to be processed.

I hope we donât disagree about the following key points:

  • TOSCA assumes the existence of a âtopology representation graphâ (the old âinstance modelâ) that is created from TOSCA service templates
  • Most if not all TOSCA implementations expect this âtopology representation graphâ to be persisted.
  • The âTOSCA representation graphâ can be turned into the actual âimplementationsâ on the external cloud resources using a variety of ways, including:
    • âPureâ TOSCA orchestration
    • Delegation to (existing) 3rd party orchestrators

I would also add the following, but these may be more controversial:

  • There must not be any ambiguity about how a TOSCA representation graph is expected to be created from TOSCA service templates. This part should not be âopen for interpretationâ.
  • TOSCA workflows, interfaces, operations, and notifications are only relevant in the context of âpure TOSCA orchestrationâ.

I would be very interested in hearing about the various other âorchestration paradigmsâ could be supported using current TOSCA grammar. I actually suspect there arenât that many ð