OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

trans-ws message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [Elist Home]

Subject: Re: [trans-ws] minutes of the Translation Web Service TC for January16th

In line with the request on our , I would like to outline some of our aspirational requirements in the web services for translation space.  We already work with a number of partners and would see the cost and quality benefits in standardising our business interfaces, particularly in the administrative aspects of project management.  Our goal would be to "productise" our localisation offering to the organisation and beyond - in effect, allowing us to localise "anywhere".  The key focus areas would be... 
- Standardisation
       * Identification, naming and definition of standard measurable tasks/activities
- Translation Management
      * Automatic MT/TM Interfacing
      * Glossary Access/Update/Management/Linguistic Review/Measurement
      * Acitivity instruction management (i.e., returned files must be formatted this way or that)
- Content Management
       * Kit Preparation
       * Content Tracking and Distribution
       * Content re-intergration
- Business Management
      * Work Effort Tracking (based on productivity metrics)
      * Budget Tracking (associated tasks within this project)
      * Content Churn Management (rate of change/historics - used for predictive scheduling)
      * PO/Invoice Handling (standardised protocol linking budgets to actuals to PO's to Invoices)
      * Workflow Issues Management (allowing each workflow stage to have escalation events)
This may be beyond the scope of WS for translation, but localisation for us is more than just translation.
In relation to all of this I must admit that, to me, it really starts to look like a standard business process automation effort. If one views Localisation/Translation as a set of interdependant supply-chain activities, then perhaps a lot of the collaterals we would require actually already exists (ebXML, CM systems, Workflow systems) - is this more of a systems integration exercise?  The specific WS-translation goals would seem to be more around consistent interfaces to memories/MT, content conversion and re-integration. 
Have I over simplified or missed the point?
S  t  e  p  h  e  n     H  o  l  m  e  s
Localisation Development Manager
Voice:  +353 (1) 241 5732
Fax:     +353 (1) 241 5749
Novell, Inc., THE leading provider of Net business solutions

>>> "Reynolds, Peter" <Peter.Reynolds@bowneglobal.ie> 17/01/2003 10:20:55 >>>
Hi all,
The minutes of the Translation Web Service TC for January 16th are below.
1/ Welcome
Peter welcomed the group to the first meeting and outlined the agenda for this meeting which is a standard one for first meetings of TC.
2/ Roll-call
Attendance: Tony Jewtushenko, Bill Looby, Milan Karasek, Ian Harris, Paul Goulbourn, Alex Lamb, Anrezej Zydrone, Arle Lomell, Stephen Flinter, Christian Lieske, Reinhard Schaler, Joeri Van de Walle, Peter Reynolds
Apologies: Steven Holmes, Sukumar Munshi, Gérard Cattin des Bois
Each member of the TC briefly introduced themselves to the rest of the meeting.
3/ Review of Oasis TC process and IPR policy
Karl Best of Oasis welcomed the group to Oasis, outlined the role of Oasis and their IPR policy.
4/ Review of TC Charter - It was decided not to amend the statement of purpose at this stage.
5/ Standing rules for TC
It was agreed to use Roberts rules http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/guidelines.shtml#roberts_rules for our meetings. It was agreed that we would allow use of email voting when the TC feel it is needed.
6/ Selection of officers:
Vice- Chair - Reinhard Schaler
Editor - Bill Looby
Secretary - Tony Jewtushenko
Assistant Secretary - Reinhard Schaler
We will work through Oasis for the web page.
7/ Liaison with other groups
The following are the groups we agreed to liaise with and the people responsible for this.
Localisation Resource Centre (LRC) - Reinhard Schaler
LISA / OSCAR group - Arle Lomell
XLIFF TC - Milan Karasek
We will for the present work through the XLIFF TC in liaising with W3C. Their representative is Christian Lieske who is a member of this TC.
Bill will investigate whether we should have a relationship with the Dublin Core group.
Arle will investigate whether we should have a relationship with ISO.
8/ Sub-committees/ TC management
It was agreed that we would not split into sub-committees at present but may use this at a later stage.
It was agreed that members would send a short mail to the group outlining their interest, what they are using Web Services for at present and what they intend using them in the future.
It was agreed that meetings would be held every second week on a Thursday.
Meetings will last one hour but where they needed the meeting can decide to extend this.
9/ Next meeting
This will take place on Thursday January 30th.
There will be an officers meeting to decide on the agenda for the next few meetings.

Peter Reynolds, Software Development Manager
Bowne Global Solutions, formerly Berlitz GlobalNET
3, West Pier Business Campus, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin, Ireland
Tel: +353-1-202-1280
Fax: +353-1- 202-1299
Web Site: http//www.bowneglobal.com


[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [Elist Home]

Powered by eList eXpress LLC