trans-ws message

Subject: RE: [trans-ws] Interest in Trans WS

I'd be hesitant to say that BPEL4WS will win the choreography space. BEA,
IBM and Microsoft have not yet contributed the spec to a standards group.
Right now I'd caution you to develop a software product based on BPEL4WS,
since the owners of the spec haven't indicated how it will be licensed
(although Collaxa has already produced a product). W3C has just started a
new choreography working group, and this group is using WSCI as an input
source, but not BPEL4WS. I doubt that BEA/IBM/MSFT will contribute BPEL4WS
to the project because of its royalty free status. Perhaps they will start a
competing effort at OASIS? In any case, the space is very foggy right now.

I believe that the first step in any web services standardization effort is
to define XML Schema, WSDL, and UDDI categorization definitions, which is
the focus of this group. I'd saythat your value add would be to define the
workflows based on the standards developed by this group. I don't think its
appropriate at this point to attempt to define "standard" workflows. I view
workflows as a use case. I suggest you write up your thoughts as use cases
and submit them to the group.

Best regards,
Anne