trans-ws message

Subject: RE: [trans-ws] Re: Notification information[Scanned]

Bill,

Our service works by the client polling our server.  They can set a polling frequency within acceptable bounds.

A 'CompletedFiles' message is sent, that returns a list of the references to files that are now complete.  The client need only poll when necessary (when there are outstanding files), and most of the time the response is empty, i.e. there are no files ready for collection.

This works very well, and since all poll messages are very small, the server performance is not affected.

E mail seems a bit 'un-automated', and strays off the web service, and to insist on a client having a web service in return expands the deployment time, and will limit the use.

The nice thing about sticking to the single web service with polling is that all messages are in the same form so the client's integration job is easy and the firewall settings are probably already in place.

Regards

Ian

Ian Harris
Technical Director