trans-ws message

Subject: RE: [trans-ws] Service Offering

Hi Gerard,

I am not sure whether we need to deal with the issue of whether or not to
believe what particular vendors are saying they can do or not. There needs
to be some way for the client telling the vendor that they want to get a
quote of a certain type or submit ajob of a certain type. This can be done
by using service offering definitions such as Stephen has outlined. It is
this that is being addressed and not misuse of the system. If we did not use
service offering but had some way where a company created its own
descriptions of whatever they want a quote for, the vendor can still claim
to do it. I suspect it would be a foolish thing to do as it will be quite to
write a routine which only accepts quotes from certain vendors.

Lets talk in more detail about this on Thursday.

Peter.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gerard Cattin des Bois [mailto:gcatt@windows.microsoft.com]
Sent: 08 April 2003 18:54
To: Stephen.Flinter@connectcgs.com; trans-ws@lists.oasis-open.org

Service offering is a good idea. That being said, I am wondering whether any
vendor would actually be honest enough to only put what they can handle.
Typical vendors' advertizements cover the gamet, and vendors hire external
services for what they don't normally provide. How do we know they won't
overstate their capabilities just to get past the filtering automation and
get a chance to make a bid?

Misrepresentation is not something we can handle in the context of this
effort, but it does beg the question of relevance and usefulness in terms of
service offering field.

Thanks,
-Gérard
Gérard Cattin des Bois
Lead Program Manager, LocStudio Services
Windows Productivity Tools Team
gcatt@microsoft.com  (425) 706-1592
Symptom and sign of Inner Peace: An unmistakable ability to enjoy each
moment...