trans-ws message

Subject: Re: [trans-ws] ISO codes and RAND

Hi,

Firstly please find attached the UBL proposal regarding schemas for
sharing the validation common codes like ISO 3166.

I wholly agree with the submission of INCITS to ISO/ANSI. Quite honestly
I consider this type of move extremely worrying and will lead, if
carried out, to the demise of the use of ISO/ANSI codes and the creation
of an independent and free coding system under the auspices of say OASIS
or ECMA.

Reading the newsletter quote it is unclear whether reproduction by a
standards organization such as OASIS/Lisa would incur any potential
liability as it is not for direct commercial gain. The codes would not
be part of a product, but merely reproduced to insure conformance. The
approach to these matters by OASIS is in any case "RAND", so adopting
the codes would be within the guidelines given by OASIS.

Regards,

AZ

Arle Lommel wrote:

> This is the information I have on this topic. I don't know a whole lot more.
>
> -Arle

email - azydron@azdata-products.com
smail - Mr. A.Zydron
         24 Maybrook Gardens,
         High Wycombe,
         Bucks HP13 6PJ
Mobile +(44) 7966 477181
FAX    +(44) 870 831 8868
www - http://www.azdata-products.com

may not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.  Please
verification is required please request a hard-copy version. Unless
explicitly stated otherwise this message is provided for informational
purposes only and should not be construed as a solicitation or offer.

wd-ublndrsc-codelist-01.pdf