trans-ws message

Subject: Re: [trans-ws] Specfification text re taxonomies

Andrzej,

I'm in the process of integrating your UBL XML Schemas in my WSDL (which
I'll post shortly).  In the process of doing a bit of research, I've come
across this site:
http://www.unece.org/etrades/unedocs/repository/codelists/xml/codelist.htm
which contains a number of UBL schemas (see here for the set of files
http://www.unece.org/etrades/unedocs/repository/codelists/xml/).

Among them they have the ISO 3166 set of countries, but not languages, as
far as I can see.  They also have ISO 4217 currencies, which may be of
interest to us (although the NZD value is duplicated - a typo, I assume).

However, this raises a larger question, is there, or is there going to be,
a single UBL for every applicable ISO/ANSI/whatever standard?  I.e. the set
of codes relating to a given standard reside in one know location, with a
single, unchanging XML namespace.  Although your UBL XSD for ISO 3166 is
similar to the UNECE one, it's not identical.  At the very least the
namespace is going to be different.

I would see this as an issue with a web service application that handled
multiple XML documents from different partners.  If each partner had a
different namespace for its coutry code list, in effect they are different
sets of codes.  The whole UBL thing only really works if there is a single
canonical UBL version of each set of standardised codes, and that every XML
document refers to the same UBL schema for the same code type (currency,
language, whatever).

Anyway, I digress -  I don't want to get involved in the UBL TC as well as
the WSTranslation one!

A few final points.  Firstly, are there other UBL schemas defined out there
that would be useful to us?  In particular, we'll need one for MIME types
for the querySuport operation.

Secondly, is there a standard or recommended way to map the code to the
description of the code in UBL.  In your UBL schemas you have an
<annotation> tag, where as the UNECE schemas have the descriptions as XML
comments.

Lastly, I also had a quick look at the unit of measure UBL on the UNECE
site.  There are no units of measure that are relevant to
translation/localisation (e.g. word, file, etc.).  Given that somebody
somewhere has a need of a unit of measure of "horse power day per air dry
metric ton", (code "32" if you're interested) perhaps we could look at the
units of measure that we're interested in.

Steve

Stephen Flinter
Connect Global Solutions
[t] +353 (0)1 882 9038
[f] +353 (0)1 882 9050
[m] +353 87 798 1228
[e] stephen.flinter@connectcgs.com
[w] www.connectcgs.com

                      Andrzej Zydron
                      <azydron@xml-intl        To:       trans-ws@lists.oasis-open.org
                      .com>                    cc:       Mavis Cournane <mcournane@cognitran.com>
                                               Subject:  [trans-ws] Specfification text re taxonomies
                      08/02/2004 15:25

Hi Everyone,

The following is my (draft) text regarding code verification in the
Trans WS spec:

The model for schema enabled presentation and validation of code list
for country code, languages and content domains is based on the OASIS
UBL recommendation "Universal Business Language (UBL)
Code List Rules"
(
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ubl/ndrsc/archive/wd-ublndrsc-codelist-01.pdf
)

The UBL Code List Rules recommend the "Multiple Namespace Types Method"
whereby the elements that represent a code from a particular list are
bound to types that may have come from an external organization's schema
module.

The instance of each code instance is related by namespace to the
validating schema document e.g.:

<doc xmlns:iso3166="http://example.iso.org/schemas/CountryCodesISO3166.xsd
">
<langCode><iso3166:CodeContentType>US</iso3166:CodeContentType></langCode>
</doc>

The Translation Web Services specification defines the following code
verification schemas:

1) CountryCodesISO3166.xsd for ISO 3166 Country codes.
2) LanguageCodesISO639.xsd for ISO 639.2 language codes.
3) TransWSDomains.xsd for translation specific domain classifications
based on ATA (American Translators Association) list of domains.

These schemas will be hosted by <TBA> and can be referenced by the
following URL addresses:

<TBA>

Please can everyone sense check my text in case I have made any
mistakes. I have also asked Mavis Cournane of the OASIS UBL TC to kindly
check as well.

Regards,

AZ

--

email - azydron@xml-intl.com
smail - Mr. A.Zydron

may not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.  Please
verification is required please request a hard-copy version. Unless
explicitly stated otherwise this message is provided for informational
purposes only and should not be construed as a solicitation or offer.

the OASIS TC), go to
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/trans-ws/members/leave_workgroup.php
.