trans-ws message

Subject: LISA-OASIS: [trans-ws] Groups - Tran- WS TC meeting modified

Thank you Gerard--

Both LISA and OASIS exchange formal membership privileges.
LISA would therefore subscribe to the OASIS legal
framework and vice versa.

Both organizations have demonstrated the will to cooperate
and recognize each other's contributions. LISA, through OSCAR's work, fully support open standards.

All standards developed by OSCAR shall be considered open standards which are freely available. The detailed policy regarding Intellectual Property Rights for OSCAR is contained in Article 31 of the document "LISA - Statutes of the Localization Industry Standards Association," which is available on the LISA web site.

ref/ page 18-19 of the LISA Statutes
http://www.lisa.org/members_info/LISA_statutes.pdf

Patrick and I have discussed similar issues in the past,
and can further document and clarify as required.

Best regards,

Michael Anobile
www.lisa.org

-----Original Message-----
From: Gerard Cattin des Bois [mailto:gcatt@windows.microsoft.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 6:52 PM
To: reinhard.schaler@ul.ie; Andrzej Zydron; Michael Anobile; Patrick Gannon
Cc: trans-ws@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: RE: [trans-ws] Groups - Tran- WS TC meeting modified

Hello Reinhard,

This comment actually prompted WS-Trans to be migrated to OASIS rather than some other alternatives.

This being said, the spec is now under the hood of LISA/OSCAR, and much of the current spec, in particular TMX are governed by it and there does not seem to have been any legal conflicts with such language.

The work we propose in the context of this TC is to review the other’s work. I believe that LISA and OASIS have mutually established membership in each other. SO, LISA is a member of OASIS, and OASIS is a member of LISA. I am not familiar with the particulars when it comes to the standards and their legal statements. Maybe Mike Anobile from LISA or Patrick Gannon from OASIS can speak to that.

To Michael/Patrick: (quick recap)

The LISA/OSCAR Steering Committee opened a new spec called GILT Metrics which is being reviewed and commented on from within OSCAR and also from OASIS/XLIFF and OASIS/WS-Trans TCs. The issue of proper IP was discussed and Andrzej, being the current spec editor, posted the official LISA Copyright statement, reprinted below:

This document and translations of it may be copied and furnished to others, and derivative works that comment on or otherwise explain it or assist in its implementation may be prepared, copied, published and distributed, in whole or in part, without restriction of any kind, provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are included on all such copies and derivative works. However, this document itself may not be modified in any way, such as by removing the copyright notice or references to LISA.

The limited permissions granted above are perpetual and will not be revoked by LISA or its successors or assigns.

That said, Reinhard raised the issue of legal framework between the two organizations: Have LISA and OASIS signed up to each other’s legal framework? If yes, what does it mean? If not, then what is the IP of work reviewed by OASIS for LISA from OASIS’s perspective and from LISA’s perspective given OASIS legal framework. The opposite is also relevant: OASIS spec reviewed and commented from LISA.

This is really a question of clarity and expectation so we know what each group is exposing and in a way legally exposing the other and their members participating in those standards spec development.

<Gérard/>

LISA/OSCAR Chair

OASIS/WS-Trans TC member

OASIS/XLIFF TC member