trans-ws message

Subject: RE: [trans-ws] Collaborative editing of the spec

Hi all,

I would suggest that we give this a try. Any other opinions? If not:

  • When can we start?
  • Do we need a ballot to determine whether we go ahead with this?
  • Do we need to put together some official guidelines? Or should we perhaps simply run with it for now and see how it works?
  • Do we need any type of protection for this site, to avoid external access?

Cheers,
Magnus

From: Stephen.Flinter@connectcgs.com [mailto:Stephen.Flinter@connectcgs.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 11:20 PM
To: trans-ws@lists.oasis-open.org

Magnus,

1. The wiki supports this automatically.  When you edit and update a page, the page has a link 'Back in time' at the bottom.  You can use this to track changes, and rollback if necessary.  At present, this mechanism is pretty rudimentary, but I believe that the developers are working on something more sophisticated.
2. The notifications are handled through RSS.  Check out www.bloglines.com for a web based RSS aggregator, or FeedDemon (http://www.bradsoft.com/feeddemon/index.asp) for a windows based one, if you're not familiar with RSS.  Effectively, what will happen is if you subscribe to the feed, your feed aggregator will poll it on a regular basis (say every 2 hours), and you'll see any changes there.
3 & 4.  The idea behind wikis is that everybody can add whatever they like, and that through the editing process it all gets cleaned up properly.  What I would suggest is that people put their own contributions & annotations directly onto the appropriate page, and we can remove all of this in the final publication.  The typical approach that you see in wikis is that people surround their own contribution with horizontal lines (e.g. see the note on this page: http://212.147.140.51:2500/wiki/show/requestQuote to see what I mean).

Obviously, people will have to be sensible about how they edit this, and not just change anything they want just because it suits them.

Anyway, good to hear that there is some appetite for this.

Regards,

Steve

Stephen Flinter
Connect Global Solutions
[t] +353 (0)1 882 9038
[f] +353 (0)1 882 9050
[m] +353 87 798 1228
[e] stephen.flinter@connectcgs.com
[w] www.connectcgs.com

"Magnus Martikainen" <magnus@trados.com>

21/09/2004 18:07

<Stephen.Flinter@connectcgs.com>, <trans-ws@lists.oasis-open.org>

cc

Subject

RE: [trans-ws] Collaborative editing of the spec

Hi Stephen,

This is a great initiative! I am all for it, it should help us a lot to keep the specs up-to-date if everyone that identifies an issue can go in and change it directly.
But obviously with that freedom comes some responsibility, and I guess we may need to put together some guidelines for how we should work.

I am not familiar with Wiki or RSS so I have a couple of questions:
* Is it possible to track the history of the content, retrieve an “old” version, or see exactly what changes has been done and perhaps reverting to an earlier version?
* Is it possible to get notifications when content is changed and to see what changes were made?
* It could be useful to be able to do edit the content as a “change proposal” without it explicitly being part of the “official” content until it has been signed off by others. Would this be possible?
* Is it possible to annotate changes with comments explaining why they were made?

Thanks a lot for taking your time in setting this up!
Magnus