trans-ws message

Subject: FW: Internationalization Tag Set

Hi all,

Please see below the information on the work of the ITS group at W3C.

Thanks,

Peter.

-----Original Message-----
From: Yves Savourel [mailto:ysavourel@translate.com]
Sent: 28 November 2005 21:56
To: jamie.clark@oasis-open.org; carol.geyer@oasis-open.org
Cc: 'Tony Jewtushenko'; Reynolds, Peter; robin.cover@oasis-open.org;
patrick.gannon@oasis-open.org
Subject: Internationalization Tag Set

Hello Carol, James, and all,

I assume both of you are the right contact persons for this, but since I
was not sure I'm taking the liberty to CCed a number of other people of
the OASIS Staff as well as Tony and Peter as their TCs are directly
linked to localization topics.

The W3C Internationalization Tag Set Working Group has published last
week the First Working Draft of the ITS specification. This is an early
draft of the markup to support internationalization aspects (including
localizability) of content for XML (DTD, Schemas, and documents
instance). The current draft provides solutions for Bidirectional
content, Ruby text, Translatability, Terminology identification and
Localization notes.

To put it very simply ITS would allow:

- To describe internationalization and localization aspects of a
document type in its schema.
- To define the same set of rules in a stand-alone container (e.g. with
document types supporting only DTD)
- To insert within documents information overriding the defaults sets
for the document type.

OASIS is the home of various XML specifications, many of which could be
using ITS. We are aware of some existing internationalization support in
various OASIS formats (e.g. the bidirectional tags in DocBook or the
translate attribute in DITA) and are working already in coordinating our
solutions with their.

But we would like to make sure the whole OASIS community is aware of
this Working Draft so they can provide us with feedback and we can work
on addressing their issues as soon as possible.

Would it be possible for someone to broadcast this information to the
appropriate contacts (TC chairs maybe?).

- The text of the W3C official announcement is here:
<http://www.w3.org/News/2005#item170>

- The Working Draft is visible here:
<http://www.w3.org/TR/its/>

- The ITS main page is here:
<http://www.w3.org/International/its/>

Please, let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Kind regards,
-yves

Yves Savourel
Localization Solutions Architect
ENLASO Corporation
T: 303-516-0857 x104 * F: 303-516-1701
E: ysavourel@translate.com
Chair, W3C Internationalization Tag Set Working Group