Subject: TC Admin feedback on public review for Survey of Methods of Trust Committee Note Draft

Members of the Trust Elevation TC,

I'm providing this feedback to help you all follow the steps we use to manage creating, approving and publishing TC Committee Spec and Note Drafts in line with the requirements of the OASIS TC Process. These steps weren't followed in your first submission. I released the draft for public review anyway because I knew that this was new to you all and I didn't want to slow down your progress.

Please go over the process described below and follow these steps for future work. I've included motion language on approving drafts that you can cut and paste in your minutes and ballots.

Thanks & I appreciate you all adopting these steps. It helps me to manage the work that comes in from all the TCs and ensures that I don't lose track of anyone's requests.

Please let me know if you have any questions on any of this.

Steps to creating and approving Committee Drafts:

1. Request a template starter document

    Request a starter document from TC Admin using the Work Product Registration / Template Request form at http://www.oasis-open.org/resources/tc-admin-requests/work-product-registration-template-request.

    This allows us to prepare a starter document with the standard OASIS cover pages, document styles, and required content placeholders all set up for you and avoids us having problems formatting your document when you submit it for public review. (I had a lot of problems with this first document.) It also lets us provide you with the URL where the final version of the document will be published (e.g. http://docs.oasis-open.org/trust-el/survey/v1.0/cnd01/trust-el-survey-v1.0-cnd01.html).

    For the current Survey of Methods document, please request a template so that we can prepare it for you and copy the content of your current working draft over to that template.

2. Approve your working draft as a Committee Draft

    When you are ready to approve your working draft as a Committee Specification Draft or Committee Note Draft:

    - Gather all the component files that together make up the approved Draft (e.g. the working draft, schema, wsdl, examples, etc.) and ZIP them into a single file. Load the ZIP file into the TC's document repository. Having one ZIP file to review, approve and submit to TC Admin avoids any confusion or disagreement about what belongs in the published piece.

    - Make a motion or start a ballot to approve the working draft. Include the link to the ZIP file in the motion or ballot language using language such as this:

      "[I move that / Do the members agree that ] the [Working Draft title, version number and revision number] and all associated artifacts contained in [ZIP file link] be approved as a Committee [Specification or Note] Draft?"

     If you record the approval vote in your minutes, include the motion language, including the link, and the outcome of the vote in the minutes.

     By including the explicit link in your motion or ballot, you provide the 'connect the dots' audit trail between what the TC approved and what was ultimately published by OASIS that assists anyone later researching the TC's work.

3. Enter a TC Admin support request ticket to create your Draft

    Enter a TC Admin support request ticket, either the "Committee Specification Draft Creation / Upload Request" at http://www.oasis-open.org/resources/tc-admin-requests/committee-specification-draft-creation-upload-request or the "Committee Note Draft Creation / Upload Request" at http://www.oasis-open.org/resources/tc-admin-requests/committee-note-draft-creation-upload-request.

    You will need to enter the link to the meeting minutes that record the approval or to the ballot and you will need to enter the same link as was in the motion or ballot.

4. Approve your Committee Draft for public review

    If you are also ready to release the the Draft for public review:

    - Make a motion or start a ballot to approve submitting the draft for public review. You can make this at the same time you make the motion to approve the ballot using language such as this:

      "[I further move that / Do the members further agree that] the approved Committee [Specification or Note] Draft be submitted to OASIS for public review?"

    If you are approving the public review at a different time, include the link to the Committee Draft (if already published) or to the ZIP file in Kavi using language such as this:

      "[I move that / Do the members agree that ] the [Working Draft title, version number and revision number] Committee [Specification or Note] Draft at [file link] be submitted to OASIS for public review?"

5. Enter a TC Admin support request ticket to start the public review

    Enter a TC Admin support request ticket, either:

    - the 30-Day Committee Specification Draft Public Review Request at https://www.oasis-open.org/resources/tc-admin-requests/30-day-committee-specification-draft-public-review-request for the first review of a Committee Specification Draft

    - the 15-Day Committee Specification Draft Public Review Request at https://www.oasis-open.org/resources/tc-admin-requests/15-day-committee-specification-draft-public-review-request for a subsequent review

    - the 30-Day Committee Note Draft Public Review Request at https://www.oasis-open.org/resources/tc-admin-requests/30-day-committee-note-draft-public-review-request for the first review of a Committee Note Draft

    - the 15-Day Committee Note Draft Public Review Request at https://www.oasis-open.org/resources/tc-admin-requests/15-day-committee-note-draft-public-review-request for a subsequent review

Again, thanks for your assistance and let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

/chet
Chet Ensign
http://www.oasis-open.org