ubl-clsc message

Subject: Normativeness and conformance regarding data model and W3C Schema expression

During today's UBL coordination call the issue of the relative weight of
the code list data model and the W3C Schema expression of the code list
data model was discussed.

I've been swayed by Mark's contentions that, indeed, the normativeness and
conformance of the W3C Schema expression is the objective of CLSC and not
any measure of normativeness or conformance to the abstract data model.

*How* that will work will parallel that of UBL itself, which is still under
discussion and I'm sure we could contribute to that discussion with our
perspective regarding conformance of W3C Schema expressions to our data model.

Should other organizations utilizing other technologies wish to adopt the
OASIS UBL CLSC abstract code list data model for their use, they would,
respectively, come up with their own measures and metrics of normativeness
and conformance of their expressions.

This still puts pressure on us to come up with a robust abstract data model
and, as Tony put forward, an XML expression of that data model from which
we can derive the W3C Schema expression (thus proving the data model
suffices our needs) and other organizations can derive their own
expressions (hopefully not needing addition requirements we don't have, but
we can't let that delay us).

So, I've been convinced that the data model and the W3C Schema expression
of that data model belong as sibling chapters of the document, just as
Marty has been doing to date.  Should any other member still hold the
perspective I previously held that the body of the document would have the
data model and an annex of the document would have the W3C Schema
expression, please take the time to give your thoughts on this, otherwise
I'll assume the issue has been resolved and we can take sign off on this at
the next teleconference.

--
North America (Washington, DC): 3-day XSLT/2-day XSL-FO 2004-03-15
Instructor-led on-site corporate, government & user group training

ISBN 0-13-065196-6                       Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                               Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X   Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-11-X               Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners:     http://XMLGuild.info
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc