ubl-clsc message

Subject: Terminology regarding code lists

During today's LCSC meeting, Tim brought to my attention that the code list
subcommittee is meeting two kinds of needs under the one umbrella "code lists":

   (1) - the thing the CCTS calls a code list

   (2) - there are enumerated lists of abbreviations that refer
         to things (like North, South, East, West) that are not
         true code lists

The mechanism we define will accommodate both and the schema fragments for
code lists and those for enumerated lists ... do we need to make this
distinction in our work or do you think that is just a choice of LCSC to
utilize our code list specification for their enumerated lists?

I think one aspect of these enumerated lists are they are immutable and
that users of UBL would never be allowed to change them for private-use
lists ... but that is a deployment issue and not a declaration/definition
issue so I don't think it impacts us.

The other point brought up is that no changes have been made nor are any
anticipated in the short term regarding the code list catalogue format ...
the contents will be revised, but they haven't yet considered any changes
to the columns.

--
North America (Washington, DC): 3-day XSLT/2-day XSL-FO 2004-03-15
-          (San Francisco, CA): 3-day XSLT/2-day XSL-FO 2004-03-22

Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc