ubl-clsc message

Subject: FW: Comments to Requirements Document

Marty et al

Please find below some comments to our requirements document submitted by
GEFEG who need to implement our code lists in the schemas for our 1.0
release.

Hopefully Jorg will be able to send further input before our next call.

regards

Sue

-----Original Message-----
From: Jörg Walther [mailto:walther@gefeg.com]
Sent: 22 January 2004 07:24
To: Sue Probert
Cc: Michael Dill
Subject: AW: Code lists progress for Michael Dill

Hello Sue,

I believe the document is of tremendous importance both for CCTS and for
our efforts to implement them.

I have 3 days training here in berlin, so I have limited capacities to
work on this item. I gave the document a more or less quick revue
this night and have certainly a couple of remarks and questions.

Among them:
At least in a comment of footnote the decribed ruls should be verified
- e.g. what is the reason for a code to have an additional identifier? R22

R25 ... must not only ... will cause descriptions like : self explanatory
or what would one expect to be the description for 'en', KGM, MTR etc.

R29 ... does that mean a kind of substitution code

R30, R31, R32 (especially R32) would - as far as I understand this - require
an extendes CCST Code Type.

R33 seems to mix DE 1131 and 3055, it is quite obscure to me

Namespaces:
There seems to be a tendency to duplicate the supplementary components
by namespaces (in the model and the schema). This seems to be very
arbitrary.
In common, there is a certain mix of data content for semantic meaning
and data content for repository or processing purposes - which should
be destinguished carefully.

Pg. 21
If namespaces are used, at least a binding between the URI ( it is an
identifier and not a location) and the actual schema location should
be omitted. This is neither a business of UBL nor under UBL's control.

E.g.: there may appear joint automotive industry codelists, but there
is no such organisation. It is a virtual organisation made due to
MoUs between JAMA/JAPIA, AIAG, and Odette. So ther will be no such
an URL like www.jai.org and neither www.jai.org/ubl etc.

All in all it is a very good draft and adresses many issues, which I
found to be treated during several of my consultancy projects, but
the proposed solutions have to be discussed and decided carefully.

Best Regards

Jörg