ubl-cmsc message

Subject: Re: [ubl-cmsc] Issues with ebXML Document

Matthew Gertner wrote:

> 8) Assuming that we decide to start from the Vienna document, what is the
> list of features in the Context rules that people think are broken?
>
> Note: We may end up folding this into 1), but let's discuss them
> individually for now.

I think the first think we should take a hard look at is the <Condition> element.
Originally this was an empty element, contained in <Rule>. That is, for each
<Rule> there was one <Condition>. A way to order the rules, so that different
conditions were applied in a pre-determined sequence, was needed, so the order
attribute to <Rule> was added. Later on <Condition> became a true container, and
there was no indication that a <Rule> could not contain more than one <Condition>
or that a <Condition> could not contain another <Condition>.

It seems to me that the first method had the advantage of simplicity and
modularity (in that you could actually copy and paste rules from one document
to another without having to worry too much about unintended consequences).
However, there was no way to express hierarchies or sequence of actions
other than through the "order" element.

The second method, while allowing the direct expression of hierarchies through
document hierarchy, has the distinct disadvantage of presenting obstacles to
simple copy and paste. I'm not convinced, however, that this is a practical
disadvantage (as opposed to theoretical). But if we are to retain this second
method, then we have to re-examine the need for the "apply" attribute as well as
"order".