ubl-cmsc message

Subject: [ubl-cmsc] UBL messages to convey to XML 2001 from "technical" cttes

Jon,

Here are the messages that I was asked to supply to you from the Naming and
Design Rules SC and also the Context Methodology SC.  I am copying both
groups so that they can correct any mistakes I make (they haven't seen the
final form of this until now).  This is broken up into what I hope are
approximately slide-sized chunks, though you'll want to reword/cut
down.  Other folks: Please respond by TODAY if you have corrections!

	Eve

The technical side of UBL work:

- The base UBL business document types will be expressed in a set of schema
documents, which need to be designed in a consistent fashion.  We are
developing a set of design guidelines for this purpose.

- Context-dependent changes will be needed in the structure of business
documents.  For example, in the automotive sector, addresses sometimes
contain GPS information in addition to or instead of a street address.  We
are developing a machine-readable means for specifying these context-based
changes.

- The subcommittees responding to these technical challenges are: Context
Methodology, Naming and Design Rules, and Tools and Techniques.  (You can
quote our charters if you want; they're short.)

- A good source of information is the "Naming and Design Rules portal":
   http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ubl/ndrsc/

Use cases:

- The working method of the technical SCs is to develop use cases, and then
develop solutions that respond to the use cases.

- Everyone seems to need schema design rules these days, but they may not
be universal: use cases will distinguish between our rules and rules
developed by others for other circumstances.

- Some use cases we're developing so far (work in progress!!):

   . Develop New UBL Document Type to Replace Paper Document
   . Customize UBL Document Type
   . Create UBL Document
   . Edit UBL Document
   . Display UBL Document
   . Export UBL Document from Business Application
   . Import UBL Document into Business Application
   . Transform UBL Document into Other XML Format

Naming and design rules:

- We are trying to cover a huge area here, from schema modularity to
element naming to rules for processing instructions in instances to
performance considerations.

- So far we have a document outline plus and a number of individually
championed position papers whose results will eventually fill in the
document.  These position papers have drafts so far (but be sure to check
out the NDR portal):

   . Modularity, namespaces, versioning
   . Customization (additive/subtractive)
   . Enumerated lists
   . Elements vs. attributes
   . Local vs. global elements

Schema issues:

- We have decided to develop the base UBL schema documents in W3C XML
Schema (XSD).  Nonetheless, we've concerned about interoperability:

   . First and foremost, no schema developed in one tool works with any of
the other tools!

   . Second, the notion of restriction is likely to be important for the
context rules piece, but proper support is hard to find.

   . Third, namespace support also tends to be flaky.

- The context rules are abstract and don't depend on any one schema
language.  We anticipate that they'll be used to build XSD variations, but
we're ensuring that they will also work with RELAX NG because of RELAX NG's
ability to compute schema comparisons.  This may be important given that
UBL will have hundreds or thousands of variations, and while we want all of
them to be created through the customization methodology, we can't
guarantee it.