ubl-cmsc message

Subject: RE: [ubl-cmsc] Use Case Categories: Integration vs. Customization

Integration is the process of enabling two or more systems to communicate so
that business can be conducted electronically.  It includes up front work to
change either/both system, or to build translating bridges between them.

Taken in this context, document customization is a tiny part of the problem.
And what I was trying to say last week (below) was that I wasn't convinced
that it was even an interesting part of the problem.

A solution to the integration problem that fails to address ongoing changes
to the systems doesn't seem very interesting or useful, so I think the
latter is a primary driver in any discussion.  Eve used the term "evolution"
I believe to describe the need and response to that ongoing change.

Part of what may be confusing is something I haven't made explicit, namely,
that I believe if you solve the "evolution" problem, the up front (initial)
integration problem is trivial.

-Bill