ubl-cmsc message

Subject: Re: [ubl-cmsc] Comments on document - 3.17.04 meeting

I'm uncomfortable with the thought that a particular technology can appropriate
for itself terminology that has been in use for centuries, if not millenia,
and other legitimate uses become displaced. I would like to continue using
the term 'ad hoc', which is (at least to me) more appropriate than 'arbitrary'.
The latter has a connotation of capriciousness or whimsy that the former
does not.

If object theorists cannot see that 'ad hoc' as used here does not mean
'ad hoc polymorphism' then they have a problem that extends way beyond
what this paper addresses ;)

Opinions, please???

On 03/17/2004 05:23 PM, Fabio Arciniegas wrote:
[...]

> 1.1
> line 131 and all other instances of the term "ad-hoc": all this material
> should be pretty careful about object theory terminology (after all is all
> about inheritance and polymorphism and so on), so I suggest we don't use the
> term "ad-hoc" in this context to avoid confusion with the notion of "ad-hoc
> polymorphism".
> We can simply replace "ad-hoc" with "arbitrary".

[...]