Subject: RE: [ubl-comment] Re: [EDI-L] ebXML CPA/CPP Estimate

Hello everybody,

Just a small aside to your discussion.

The line Phil speaks of may only be drawn by determining the edge of our
collective area of agreement. We have to allow for individual extensibility
in our models for terrain beyond the edge.

For example, international standard code lists such as ISO 3166 country
codes are not definitively complete and need to be extensible in business
applications. To this point, the ISO 3166 country codes are not sufficiently
complete for international collections of macroeconomic statistics as they
do not include any regional definitions (e.g., Europe, Africa, etc) or
political or economic associations (e.g., OPEC, NAFTA, etc.) and ISO has
rejected any attempts to include such on the reasonable grounds that there
are no generally recognized criteria for words like Europe or Africa (e.g.,
Some place Turkey and Egypt in the Near East.) Yet in our IT systems we need
codes for these concepts along side "country" codes.

James R. McKee
Advisor
Statistics Department

Office: