Subject: Re: Unilateral Submit (was Re: [ubl-comment] LCSC Minutes)

Thank you for the compliments.  I believe the participants in UBL have
had enough experience with how collaborative and open processes should
NOT be managed to be able to do it properly.

To address your specific points:

Yes, we recognise that now is the time to comment on the CCTS and we are
preparing our comments accordingly.  However, we do not believe that
changes should be made to suit the arbitrary needs of UBL.  We do
believe our experience with trying to apply these specificiations has
given us useful feedback for the CCTS team.
Within UBL we are attempting to conform to the CCTS work as it emerges,
but this is obviously an iterative process.  Something we also recognise
is that UBL has both a 'conceptual model' compliant with CCTS and a
'physical model' (ie schemas) which introduce the technical
implementation requirements of our target environment (XML).  Remebere,
we are not 'syntax-neutral' (as are ebXML and ebTWG)- we are XML
focussed.  Our results are implementable schemas not just conceptual
models.  Therefore, we have our own UBL Naming and design rules as well
as CCTS requirements.   As such, we have to be conscious to not promote
'physical model' features back into the work of CCTS.

With respect to the work of the various BP groups within ebTWG, we
recognise the 'top down' approach is the long term future for designing
business process, their transactions and their requisite data
requirements.  However, one of the motivations for UBL was to stake some
ground for an ebXML compliant XML vocabulary for e-business documents,
sonner rather than later.  We deliberately took a 'bottom up' (or
'bottoms up' to use our in-joke) approach.  This is not an unknown
situation in any software development - the important factor is that we
try to connect in the middle.  Your idea of a placeholder is a good one
and rest assured we are following the work of the various ebTWG teams
closely.  Hopefully, once the dust settles in CEFACT-land the picture
will become clearer.  In any case, our experience will again provide
valuable feedback into the modelling of Core Components and their
relationship with Business Processes.

Finally, while we are handing out bouquets, let me take the opportunity
to recognise the ongoing contribution you are making to the ebXML
'vision'.  In Australia, we have a minority political party that has as
its motto "keeping the bastards honest" - you might want to adopt it
yourself!