Subject: Re: [ubl-comment] UBL comments on ebXML Core Components TechnicalSpecification v1.8

i suspect we were basing our proposal on the defintions of 'code' and 'identifier' given by CCTS.

Code : A character string (letters, figures or symbols) that for brevity and / or language independence may be used to represent or replace a definitive value or text of an attribute.
Identifier : A character string used to establish the identity of, and distinguish uniquely, one instance of an object within an identification scheme from all other objects within the same scheme.

It sounds like Ron is questioning those definitions, or maybe seeking to extend them.

Ron, it sounds to me as if you would rather see a differentiation/definition made on the basis of how each of them is processed (ie how we establish the value), rather than their function (as in the CCTS defintion).  Is that correct?

Schuldt, Ron L wrote:
667ED598F8A2D311981D00508B1223800E2F849F@emss02m04.ems.lmco.com">
A code is a code since the processor needs to refer to a look-up table to
convert it to its value. An identifier contains the value between the start
tag and the end tag.

The difference is in the behavior of the data and what the processor does
with the data. Therefore, I must disagree with the notion that a code could
play the role of an identifier. I know that X12 has failed to use the notion
of identifier since the term "code" is used (and mis-used) extensively and
in some instances should instead be using the term "identifier." In general,
where X12 uses the term "number" it can usually be interpreted as an
identifier. For example, "communications number" - Data Element 364 in X12 -
would become "communications identifier" NOT "communications code"

Ronald L. Schuldt
Senior Staff Systems Architect
Lockheed Martin Enterprise Information Systems
11757 W. Ken Caryl Ave. #F521 MP DC5694
Littleton, CO 80127
303-977-1414
ron.l.schuldt@lmco.com