Subject: Re: [ubl-comment] Simple purchase order

Hi Tim

Just a couple of observations on your response to Ms. Slupik

"If you believe that this sub-total is not PriceAmount less TaxAmount ..."
Often a sub-total is required that is net of delivery charges, not simply just
net of tax.

"The same tax rate is applied for the whole order "
This isn't always the case.  In the publishing business, some items may be zero
rated for VAT (e.g. books) whereas others do carry VAT (e.g. books with CDs or
audiotapes included).  You can certainly have some orderlines where VAT is
applicable, and others where it isn't.

"I put the shipment amount in the header as <PaymentVariation>. Is this correct?"

We have some customers who charge different shipment rates for different
products; there is no consistency (e.g. by weight) across their entire product
line .  How would you recommend handling that?  Would this also come under the
heading of a derived business information  entity?  Or would you recommend
building a separate PO for such items?

Regards
Gordon Dennis

Tim McGrath wrote:

> firstly, let me thank you for adopting UBL in your project.  As you
> would be aware this is a work in progress (like most standards) and it
> is practical feedback from the field that both improves our work and
> encourages us to persist.
>
> to answer you specific concerns (and some of my colleagues may wish to
> add their opinions as well)...
>
> 1. How to include sub-total amount (without tax)?
>
> I would interpret this as a derived business information entity.  it is
> PriceAmount less TaxAmount (in most cases).  in which case it is not
> technically necessary for the document.  We sometimes concede on this
> rule (e.g. the other totals) but only where it may be possible only to
> send totals and not the constituent parts.
> If you believe that this sub-total is not PriceAmount less TaxAmount
> then we would be happy to have your definition and put it for
> consideration into the next version of the library.
>
> 2. How to include a default tax rate in the summary? The same tax rate is
> applied for the whole order so it appears in the summary and not in lines.
>
> There is really no logical difference between Header and Summary - it
> just folows traditional views of the document.  So the entity you
> require can be in the Header or Summary.  Currently, the only way to use
> a Tax structure is to create it with the OrderHeader.PaymentVariation.
>  I tend to feel this is not intuitive, however it is possible.  Again we
> are happy to consider this as input into our current Library review
>
> 3. I put the shipment amount in the header as <PaymentVariation>. Is this
> correct?
>
> Yes it is correct. This is similar to the case above (2.) but shows a
> more legitimate use of payment variations.  you have correctly qualified
> the variation as being 'shipping'.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Barbara Slupik wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >I am building an e-commerce application and I am looking for standard
> >document formats to use. Purchase orders are the first area I am tackling.
> >Later conversion to and from EDI format will be important, but for now I am
> >starting with something simple.
> >
> >I want to translate a simple order into UBL format (see documents below).
> >
> >I had no problems with <Header> and <LineItem> parts. The problems started
> >with <Summary> part:
> >
> >1. How to include sub-total amount (without tax)?
> >2. How to include a default tax rate in the summary? The same tax rate is
> >applied for the whole order so it appears in the summary and not in lines.
> >3. I put the shipment amount in the header as <PaymentVariation>. Is this
> >correct?
> >
> >Regards
> >
> >Barbara Slupik
> >

> >*****************  Simple order as text  ******************
> >
> >Buyer:                 H K MOORE LIMITED
> >                       Low Cost Secure Electronic Data Exchange
> >                       21 Garden Road
> >                       Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 6HT, UK
> [...]

Koala Publishing Limited
Downend House, 112 North Street, Downend, Bristol BS16 5SE, England
Tel:  +44 (0)117 910 9111   Fax:  +44 (0)117 910 9222
WWW:  http://www.koalapub.co.uk   http://www.koala-aerospace.com

eCommerce Applications, catalogues, directories & technical publications.
Delivered on the internet, CD-ROM or as printed publications.
Internet Hosting. Microsoft Visual Studio Developers
See our AskMe pages at http://www.koalapub.co.uk/askme to see how you
can increase customer satisfaction and save money.