Subject: RE: [ubl-comment] Code list rules document

Hi Eve,

  Thanks for your prompt reply. What you say is quite true there are a number
of ways of handling hierarchical code lists.

 The question is what should be recommended and can we have a Schema for the
recommendation.

  Lets take a very simple example. Countries and their sub regions(States US, France Departements,
  UK Counties, Germany Laender  etc.in one list.
 At the country level we have established code lists.Quite clearly if a user selects US as the country
 he/she cannot select Languedoc as the region since that is peculiar to France. Also bear in mind that
 there may be no set of codes for the UK counties - just the names in full.

 Another question the above scenario raises is where does the 'data' end and where does the particular
implementation - in s/w terms begin.

Cheers, Phil.

-----Original Message-----
From: Eve L. Maler [mailto:eve.maler@sun.com]
Sent: 27 August 2002 19:00
To: Philip Goatly
Cc: ubl-ndrsc@lists.oasis-open.org; ubl-comment@lists.oasis-open.org

This is a good question (and one that should be treated in the spec...).
  This architecture doesn't prevent any hierarchical structuring of
codes that the agency might desire to reflect in the actual code data.
For example, this could be done with subelements in the inner code
element (done as a complex rather than a simple code content type), or
with punctuation as delimiters (done with pattern-matching on the simple
code content type, so that, say, hyphens are enforced as the separators).

However, my understanding is that often code lists have elaborate
classification hierarchies above the level of the actual code, *which
you can access by reference to the code* and which need not be baked
into the code string that appears in a message.  For example, if 024581
means "canned food, baked beans, non-fat", the code as a whole can be
treated as essentially opaque as far as the schema is concerned, while
still having a sophisticated hierarchy as a code list ontology/taxonomy.

So in practice, an agency, in addition to preparing a reuse-ready code
list module that could be pulled into vocabularies such as UBL, might
very well have one or more data-dictionary representations of the code
list that supply all of the definitions, parental relationships, etc.

Of course, there are various XML and non-XML formats already used for
formally defining code lists in this way.  The UBL recommendations don't
try to address this use case at all, but rather try to ensure the actual
usage of codes in an instance.  As an example, I believe the UNECE code
list schemas are never intended to have instances, so there are some
reuse criteria that they don't satisfy.

Does this satisfy your concern?  If not, do you have suggestions on how
the spec should change?

Thanks,

	Eve

Philip Goatly wrote:
> Sorry UB/SPSC should read UN/SPSC
>
> Cheers, Phil

Sun Microsystems                            cell +1 781 883 5917
XML Web Services / Industry Initiatives      eve.maler @ sun.com

MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service.