Subject: RE: [ubl-comment] Code list rules document

I believe that the recommendation as it stands does precisely what you want Terry.  See the codelist module template (schema) for an example.

The iso3166:CodeType extends iso3166:CodeContentType with three fixed attributes: ID (fixed to "ISO 3166"), agencyID (fixed to "6"), and versionID (fixed to "0.2").  That means that the PSVI for a node of type iso3166:CodeType will always have these three attributes with those three values.  So, while in the instance document, you see a nice, readable (perhaps):

<ShippingAddress>
 <PostalZoneId>75075</PostalZoneId>
 <CountryIdentificationCode>AF</CountryIdentificationCode>

So an XML processor (such as an XSLT stylesheet) is able to (automatically) validate the code content (in this case "AF") and the stylesheet "sees" not only the content, but the metadata (the ID, agencyID and versionID attributes).

As for external maintenance (i.e. maintenance by the agencies -- not by UBL), again I believe that is the intent of the proposal.  The purpose of having the (complex) code type "wrapping" the (usually simple) code content type is that the latter is usually provided by the agency.  So if an agency provides something as basic as a simple type with a bunch of enumerations (like the example) then it's easy for UBL to "wrap" that in a complex type (adding the descriptive PSVI metadata) and viola!  If the agencies decide to adopt the metadata practice too, then so much the better -- UBL won't have to do any wrappering at all.

That's how I understand it anyway.

Bill Burcham
Sr. Software Architect, Standards and Applied Technology
Sterling Commerce, Inc.
469.524.2164
bill_burcham@stercomm.com <
mailto:bill_burcham@stercomm.com>

-----Original Message-----
From: Terry Schager [
mailto:tschager@earthlink.net]
Sent: Friday, August 30, 2002 6:22 AM
To: Eve L. Maler; Philip Goatly
Cc: ubl-ndrsc@lists.oasis-open.org; ubl-comment@lists.oasis-open.org

Eve,

You might consider the approach a few of the X12 and old TDCC Code tables
adopted where the code provided pointed you to an agency (like AIA, AIAG,
GCA, UCC, etc.)  The agencies themselves maintain the code lists and take
care of subscription or some other form of dissemination.  As long as the
agency qualifier is included in what re two conditional elements, document
integrity is maintained.  This benefits UBL because a code qualifier for a
value is provided and it benefits the companies in a vertical industry
because they are using codes they see relevance in (and are probably using
already in back end apps or their EDI processing.  Thoughts?

Terry Schager
Principal
Aeon Consulting
322 Pleasant Hill Rd.