Subject: Re: [ubl-comment] Re: UBL and UN/CEFACT

Ralph, Jamie, Klaus-Dieter, Ray, Jon, and other interested parties:

I would like to offer my 2 cents worth on this, since for the time being I
am an uninvolved bystander.  I have been no more than an observer and
occasional commenter on the UBL work for most of this year.  My OASIS
membership has lapsed (though I will probably renew soon).  I have no
affiliation with CEFACT.  So, what concerns me is what will be the best for
the user community.  I think the things that matter in that area are a
single standard for XML business documents, having it soon (if not
yesterday), and having it be good.  These goals may be somewhat in conflict
with each other, but if you don't ask for what you want you're for sure not
going to get it.

In that light, it would be beneficial if CEFACT and the OASIS UBL TC could
work together to develop a single, good standard.  That seems to me to be
the optimal solution.  However, in the current climate I have concerns
about that negatively impacting the "soon" requirement.  CEFACT is just
spinning up a new organization.  Even a casual observer would expect that
it will take them awhile to sort things out and hit their stride with their
currently planned work program.  Brining a new effort like UBL under the
umbrella could only slow things down.   From the other perspective, the UBL
TC has been up and running (de facto, if not officially) for about a year
now.  It has hit its stride.  It is half way through a planned work
program.  A casual observer might find it hard to understand why they would
want to undergo a disruptive organizational change this far through the
effort.  In short, I see trying to work in the short term on a single
standard as being in conflict with user community requirements for a
standard soon.

That said, we don't have to give up on a single standard.  Let's look at
reality.  CEFACT is planning on using Core Components as the basis for XML
schemas.  The CC technical specification isn't approved yet.   Do we
realistically think that CEFACT will have an approved Core Component
dictionary in the next year?  By that time, if the UBL work goes as planned
most of it should be finished.  This timing works quite nicely.   The bulk
of the UBL work finishes up in OASIS, it gets transitioned to CEFACT, and
then continues development in CEFACT and forms the basis for the CEFACT XML
document standards.  That's not to say that the UBL work couldn't still
have some official status in OASIS, but the primary venue should be
CEFACT.  Even though I have several negative opinions and feelings about
CEFACT, as a UN organization it still has the best credentials and mind
share to be the host of a single, international standard.

Three major things are required to make this happen:

1)  CEFACT and the OASIS TC need to agree that this is a good plan and work
toward it.  A Letter of Intent might be a very good message to send to the
community.

2)  The OASIS TC needs to finish up its work program on time.

3)  CEFACT needs to defer work on XML syntax until the UBL work transitions
over to CEFACT.  I expect that there will be people in CEFACT who will find
this a bitter pill to swallow.  But, let me remind you.  You asked the rest
of the world to stop work while you and OASIS worked on ebXML.  We did, and
we still don't have much to show for it.  I think it's your turn to sit on
your hands and get out of the way while someone else does something.

Now, tell me reasonably why this doesn't appeal to your common sense?

Cheers,

Mike