Subject: Re: [ubl-comment] How an invoice references a particular version of a Party (ex Question about the BusinessCard object)

Registered companies have a registration ID, so that is fine. Large partnerships and other unincorporated bodies in the UK have no registration number (they do not have to be registered as entities) might be registered for VAT (if their turnover is over the threshold) and any VAT registered company must put its VAT number on its invoices, so we would have a VAT number, but sole traders and individuals below the turnover threshold do not have to register for VAT and have no registration number in the UK. Yes they have a personal tax number, but that is not something that would every be disclosed to a trading party - in fact for security reasons the government tell us not to disclose it. In the UK there are no identity cards.

The overriding problem here is that what I am trying to do is to create a general system that can be used without any kind of prior agreement. It will be open source software that anyone can download and use. My motivation is purely selfish, I am fed up typing invoices into my accounting system, and as a farmer even our sales invoices are self-billed in general. I want something that is as simple to use as the paper equivalent, with similarly few rules associated with it as the paper version.

I look to the UBL standard to define these things - that way I can easily inter-operate with other implementations. That is why I care about getting everything that reasonably can be define set into UBL rather than relying on peer or "community" agreements. From my perspective the need for private agreements are an admission of failure in standardization

David