Subject: Re: AW: [ubl-comment] cbc:TimeType disappeared since UBL 2.1

Thank you, Jan, for your question and Philip, for your response to this.

The timing was good so that we, as a committee, were able to begin our debate about this request.

Philip is correct, though at the time it wasn't considered "dummy". The thought at the time was that a BBIE would be realized for every core component type so that extensions could have access to a suite of BBIEs that may not already be used in UBL.

That this was overlooked in UBL 2.1 was an oversight. As those BBIEs did not impact on the conformance clauses for UBL 2.1 for schema-valid instances of UBL 2.0 using the committee published schemas, the absence of this suite of "additional" BBIEs was missed.

UBL 2.1 cannot be changed in any way at this point.

Today we began debating including this change in UBL 2.2 as a non-substantive change (because it does not impact on the conformance clause) so as to be included without triggering an additional public review:

  https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/201711/msg00004.html

As part of the completion of the second public review I will update you with our decision in this regard.

Meanwhile, as a work-around for your UBL 2.1, I can offer the following suggestion from my experience as an implementer (this isn't something that I've passed by the committee) that follows Philip's observation about UBL 2.0 but works for UBL 2.1. I'm assuming in your extension you currently have:

<xsd:import namespace="urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:schema:xsd:CommonBasicComponents-2"
               schemaLocation="UBL-CommonBasicComponents-2.1.xsd"/>

You could replace that with:

<xsd:import namespace="urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:schema:xsd:CommonBasicComponents-2"
               schemaLocation="my-common.xsd"/>

And have my-common.xsd read as follows:

<xsd:schema xmlns="urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:schema:xsd:CommonBasicComponents-2"
            xmlns:udt="urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:schema:xsd:UnqualifiedDataTypes-2"
            targetNamespace="urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:schema:xsd:CommonBasicComponents-2"
            elementFormDefault="qualified"
            attributeFormDefault="unqualified"
            version="2.1">
   <!-- ===== Includes and imports ===== -->
   <xsd:include schemaLocation="UBL-CommonBasicComponents-2.2.xsd"/>
<xsd:import namespace="urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:schema:xsd:UnqualifiedDataTypes-2"
               schemaLocation="UBL-UnqualifiedDataTypes-2.2.xsd"/>

   <!-- ===== Element Declarations ===== -->
   <xsd:element name="Time" type="TimeType"/>
   <!-- ===== Type Definitions ===== -->
   <!-- ===== Basic Business Information Entity Type Definitions ===== -->
   <xsd:complexType name="TimeType">
      <xsd:simpleContent>
         <xsd:restriction base="udt:TimeType"/>
      </xsd:simpleContent>
   </xsd:complexType>
</xsd:schema>

This would, effectively, add your missing type to your extension until you find that it will be available in UBL 2.2. I will ask the committee about making a more complete version of this for all core component types not already in UBL 2.1 and making it available in a Committee Note for all projects that find themselves in your situation.

Thank you, again, Jan, for bringing this to our attention.