Subject: [ubl-csc] Review packaging

See below for notes from a call held this morning to discuss
packaging of the upcoming UBL review.  I'm sending this to the UBL
chairs list and several other people who need to be in on this so
that we all know what's happening.

For those who don't already know this: Anne Hendry's services have
been contributed to help project-manage the review cycle; hence
the suddenly far more organized approach than you're used to
getting from me.  I don't know whether Anne will be available to
help us after this review cycle, but I'm very grateful for
whatever professional project management we can get.

I see from Anne's notes below that the packaging team has decided
to use the Part 2 (i.e., Library Content) "virtual document" as
the hub document for this review.  I'm glad now that I didn't
catch up with the notice of this meeting in time to attend,
because I probably would have resisted this on the grounds that
we're losing the parallelism between "Part 1" (i.e., NDR) and
"Part 2" (i.e., Library Content).  After looking at the current
NDR document and its associated position papers, however, I
realize now just how radically the OASIS template used for the NDR
document differs from the pseudo-ISO organization of the "Part 2"
template and how difficult it would be at this stage of the game
to change it.  From a practical point of view, pointing out to the
NDR document and its associated position papers from the same
hypertext framework used for all the other disparate pieces of
this release appears to be the only sensible thing to do.  Then I
and the few people who are concerned about how this all gets
ultimately produced as a set of international standards can chip
away at the problem during the three months that the rest of the
world is considering the technical aspects.

The only thing I would suggest at this point is that we change the
name of the review package from "Part 2" to something like "UBL
Public Review: 13 January 2003" (with a change to "20 January
2003") in the version that gets publicly announced on that date).
Then "Part 1" and "Part 2" could be subsections within the HTML
doc at one level further down.  In other words, all the H2s in the
current "Part 2" template become H3s and so on.  Under "Part 2" we
would have everything just as it's been organized for the last
couple of weeks (only with all the headers pushed down one level),
and under "Part 1" the NDR document and the technical papers could
be called out in exactly the way the the subsidiary pieces of Part
2 are called out.  So Part 1 would look something like this:

   Universal Business Language -- Part 1: Naming and Design Rules

   Intro

      [a short para, TBD; include status of the drafts]

   1 Scope

      [a short para, TBD]

   2 Normative References

      [probably just a copy of the same section in Part 2]

   3 Naming and Design Rules

      [nominal intro sentence + pointer to the current draft]

   Annex A Code Lists (Informative)

      [nominal intro sentence + pointer to the current draft]

   Annex B Containership, Modeling, and Component Reuse (Informative)

      [nominal intro sentence + pointer to the current draft]

   Annex C Date and Time Representation (Informative)

      [nominal intro sentence + pointer to the current draft]

I'm not at all wedded to this suggestion, but I have a hunch from
Anne's notes that this is roughly the direction the packaging team
will be headed anyway.  The only thing I feel strongly about is
that if we make the review package a single hypertext document
(which I believe is the sensible thing to do), we should not call
it "Part 2"; that would really confuse people.

Jon