Subject: Re: [chairs] Member interface launch, etc.

Thanks, Jamie.  These details should help.

Jon

Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 11:10:29 -0800
To: jon.bosak@Sun.COM
From: James Bryce Clark <jamie.clark@oasis-open.org>
Cc: karl.best@oasis-open.org, scott.mcgrath@oasis-open.org

     Hello Jon.   By now you should have seen Karl's broadcast messages,
below.  Here's my temporary mental map of the terrain.  It may be
supplanted by better or more official advice shortly.
     (1) We will be launched officially when the message goes out to
members (not chairs), bearing their passwords.  As I write, it hasn't
yet.  Later today, last I heard, but only if stable.
     (2) The DB and MLM literally were being hooked up yesterday, during
which the DB's password-validating function and the mail-lists' links
understandably were erratic.  Karl's messages to the [chairs] are the
definitive advice on when these functions are stable.
     (3)  Presence in the DB is our representation of OASIS membership. The
DB  identifies people by their e-mail address.  Thus, the most likely
sources of user problems follow from that --
         (a) Once the switch is flipped, and the DB intermediates posting
rights, a few people probably drop off because they weren't OASIS members,
slipped in, and shouldn't have.  Solution:  join.
         (b) E-mail address pattern matching may fail.  Our records are
only as good as people tell us, and since every participant is a paying
member, we are obliged to get the authoritative dope on a member FROM that
member (or her/his corporate primary rep).  Also, in the DB,
bosak@east.sun.com <>  jon.bosak@sun.com, and so forth;  and our rosters'
parsing of first and last names from e-mail is approximate if the member
didn't supply their own values.  Solutions:
                 (i)  Members:  wait for launch.  Then proceed as below.
                 (ii) Chairs who should have a password, and don't:  (A)
Search your back e-mail from scott.mcgrath@oasis--open.org.  He sent them
out to all known members at their last-validated e-mail address.  A while
ago.  (B) If you don't have or can't find, ask Scott to re-issue.   (C)
With password in hand, go to http://www.oasis-open.org/members/. (Same
destination as the "members only" pick on the horizontal yellow band menu
at the OASIS main page.)  This will invoke a browser username & password
inquiry.  Past this is the link page for all member & officer
functionalities.   Members can fix their own names;  TC officers can fix
their own rosters.
     (4) Important point:   TC officers-only access (like membership roster
control) are *not* located in a separate control panel.   They appear as
additional picks on the TC's member home page, reached from "My groups",
when a TC officer's account accesses it.   In other words the TC officers
see the same pages as every other TC member PLUS some additional links and
widgets the latter don't.  From your comment, it sounds like your step one
is to get in on your password, and step 2 might be to designate Tim as a
"secretary" (that is, co-owner of officer-access rights) on each list you
want him to be able to fidget.
     Nice to see you last week.  Hello to Tim.  Best regards   JBC